This spec is simple enough, so we put all parts (data model, spec and API) in this page.
Tags (labels, topics) are a popular way to organize knowledge using social classification (tagging) processes and producing so-called folksonomies.
An overview of RS tags functionality follows. Please note that because of the limited effort to be spent in RS3.6, only RS3.6 Use Cases will be implemented.
Any RS object can be tagged. Tags are shared between projects, or can be defined per-project (future). Tags come from existing business thesauri, and new ones can be added to a dedicated tags thesaurus. Tags are used for searching objects, and tag cloud (future)
- Source of Tags
- Tags can be taken from existing business thesauri: you get synergy with existing terminology
- New tags can be added easily by any user to a dedicated Tags thesaurus
- Tags are shared between projects
- Tags can be defined per-project (future)
- Applying Tags
- Any user can easily add and remove tags from objects
- The "Add Tag" function uses the same auto-complete functionality used for Search (but uses a slightly different set of thesauri: Taggable instead of Searchable).
- If the user adds a tag that does not exist, it's added as a new tag into the Tags thesaurus
- Tags apply to any RS object kind: Bookmark, Data Annotation, Image Annotation;
Museum Object, Forum/Topic/Post, Image (future)
- Tags are shared between objects (i.e. the same tags thesauri apply to all object kinds)
- Using Tags
- Tags are displayed with the object, thus adding to the object's information
- Tags are used as additional search criteria in specific (per object kind) searches
- A universal Tags search (across object kinds) may also be useful (future)
- Tag cloud visualizations display popular tags and counts (future)
- Administering Tags (future)
- Tags approval
- Tags rename, merge, replace
The initial version of Tags has modest effort allocation (from RS Plan 3.6):
- Tags spec: 1.5 p/d
- Tags backend: 3
- Tags frontend: 4
Tags in RS come from two places:
- General thesauri.
Any thesaurus with rso:isTag=1 (marked as "t" in Meta-Thesaurus and FR Names#Meta-thesaurus table) can be used as a source of tags
- Dedicated thesaurus.
A special RS Tags thesaurus (http://www.researchspace.org/thesaurus/tag). New tags are added here
Tags can be applied to the following RS entities (compare with Data Basket Model#Item Types):
- Data Annotation
- Image Annotation
In the future tags can be applied also to:
- Object: need mockup where to put the tags, spec how to integrate with FR search, mockup where to put in search sentence and search results
- Forum/Topic/Post: 3rd party system, new in RS3.6
- Image: no UI to show a single image yet
- class Tag as a subclass of skos:Concept. (This is perfect: when a skos:Concept is applied as a tag, it becomes tags:Tag.)
- two inverse properties (taggedWithTag and isTagOf) to relate any resource to a tag
The Tags ontology is depicted here:
- We don't use tags:Tagging, i.e. don't record who/when added a tag
- There is no ordering of the tags applied to an object
Here is an example that relates ?obj to Rembrandt, and to a user-created tag named "Watercolor".
Because of the limited effort in RS3.6, some viable cases are listed under Future Use Cases.
- Every entity type should use the same Tags section
- Tags are represented as "buttons" for easier recognition
- There's a red "x" after each tag to delete it
- There's an empty box at the end of the tag list.
When the user starts typing, RS does autocompletion against all tag thesauri.
If the user doesn't select from the autocomplete box and presses Add, a new tag is added to the Tags thesaurus (so it's easy for any user to add new tags)
(eg Object search results list, Bookmarks list ...)
TODO: make mockups!
- It's best to use the same Tags section as above
- Or do we want some "lighter-weight" version of it?
- In particular, do we want the user to be able to add/delete tags from here?
- Clicking on a tag runs a search by that Tag, for that entity kind only
- In the Search dialog for every entity kind, there's a Tags section to add tags to the search
The query is a disjunction (OR between the tags) that is conjoined (AND) to the rest
- Universal search (of any kind of object) by tag
- Apply/create tag using twitter notation in rich-text: #tag
- Tags maintenance of the dedicated thesaurus: an admin function
- Approval of new tags proposed by users.
- If a tag is rejected, all its instances are deleted
- Rename tag
- Merge two tags
- Per-project Tag sets
Each project should be able to define a set of tags that are relevant to the research they are doing (primary tags)
- Tag cloud, in one of the following forms:
Use visual design as per Data Basket UI design#View Bookmark: gray rounded tags, extra autocomplete text-box
For reference, here is the Yammer UI:
- Saves tag to OWLIM: URI saveTag(String label, URI objURI);
- Assign tag to an object: void addTagToObj(URI tagURI, URI objURI);
- Gets tags for an object: Tag getTags(URI uriObj, String sort, String filter, String filtVal);
- Deletes any statements that has been created for the tag: void deleteTag(URI tagUri);
- Delete only statements(IS_TAG_OF) that has been created for the tag and the object: void deleteTagFromObj(URI tagUri, URI objUri);
TODO Jana & Svetoslav
NOTES from meeting 20130108:
- When to save tags? Cannot be immediately, because if you're adding tags on a new object, it does not exist until Save. Must be on Save, therefore the Tags API better have assignTagsToObject not addTagToObject and removeTagFromObject
- when saving to the dedicated thesaurus, make URL from the name
eg prefLabel = "water color" -> URL = rs-tags:water_color