The process of using OWLIM on the AWS cloud involves the following steps:
Step No.1 needs to be performed only once and afterwards customers may start/stop OWLIM on AWS whenever needed. After an EC2 instance with OWLIM installed is activated and the OWLIM process is started the customer may access the OWLIM server via the public IP address of the particular EC2 instance as a standard SPARQL endpoint, RESTful service (SPARQL graph store protocol) or the JMX monitoring and control port (if set up).
In order to use OWLIM on AWS you need the following:
Using OWLIM on the AWS cloud involves the following charges (Table 1):
Additionally AWS will charge you for:
Note that currently OWLIM is available only on the following EC2 instance types https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/ :
Table 1 - a summary of the usage costs for OWLIM on various EC2 instances
At any time you can check the current costs for using OWLIM on the AWS cloud from the AWS Management Console at https://portal.aws.amazon.com/gp/aws/user/charges/index.html
Follow the steps:
Figure 1 OWLIM on AWS start page
2. Follow the "Start Using OWLIM" link which will redirect you to the Amazon DevPay site where you can buy the OWLIM product on AWS
3. Review the pricing options for the various AWS regions and EC2 instance types
Figure 2 OWLIM product description on AWS
Figure 3 OWLIM product description on AWS (2)
Section Pricing & Billing Details provides details on the various costs for using OWLIM on the AWS Cloud. The charges displayed on the page will include:
4. Click on the "Place your order" button in the upper right corner of the screen.
5. After that you will be redirected back to a confirmation page on the Ontotext website, showing the AMI IDs of the OWLIM images deployed on the various AWS regions.
Figure 4 OWLIM Confirmation page
6. You can now launch an AMI running OWLIM on the AWS cloud
Follow the steps:
Note that currently OWLIM is available on the following AWS regions:
2. Locate the OWLIM AMI
The OWLIM AMIs can be directly accessed via the links on the confirmation page displayed after the purchase:
The links to the OWLIM AMIs will activate the Instance Wizard on AWS (Figure 5)
Figure 6 Instance Type and Availability Zone
For example, CloudWatch https:/aws.amazon.com/cloudwatch/ monitoring can be enabled for the EC2 instance.
The public/private key pair allows you to securely connect to the instance via SSH and manage it after it is launched. You can use an existing key pair, or create a new one.
The security group http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using-network-security.html should have at least the following network ports open:
Review the various AMI settings, in particular:
Figure 11 Pending EC2 instance
Note that the EBS volume has to be in the same AWS availability zone as the EC2 instance that will run OWLIM.
After the EBS volume is successfully attached to the instance its state will be changed to "in use":
10. SSH to the running EC2 instance
You can use the AWS Management Console (Instance Management > Connect > Connect from your browser using the Java SSH client). You will need to specify the private key corresponding to the key pair associated with the EC2 instance and ec2-user as the user account.
11. Mount the EBS volume to the local filesystem of the running EC2 instance
Execute the attach_data_vol.sh script located in your home directory /home/ec2_user. The script will mount the EBS volume onto the EC2 file system at /data_mount/owlim_data .
12. Start the OWLIM server process.
Execute: sudo service tomcat6 start
13. OWLIM is now accessible by the IPs configured in your AWS security group at:
Follow the steps:
2. Terminate the EC2 instance from the AWS Management Console.
Figure 18 EC2 instance termination
After that the EC2 instance should appear with a "terminated" state on the AWS console.
Skip to end of metadata Go to start of metadata