Timelines Result provides a graphical representation of how entity popularity changes through time in a given set of documents. These results can be generated from a query created in Facets or directly in Timelines.
The set of results in Timelines Result is presented in a chart. Each data point in the chart corresponds to a snapshot of documents, matching the query in a particular moment in time. When a data point is selected, it shows the list of available documents or entities for this moment in time.
The Timelines Result screen consists of a chart, representing popularity trends for the selected documents or entities and a text field displaying the document filter and the time criteria defined in the query.
If you want to adjust the default criteria to fit your task better, go to the link "click here" and it takes you to Timelines.
Alternatively, you can generate Timelines analysis by selecting Timelines directly from the main menu tabs and defining your query and timeline criteria there.
The chart represents fluctuations in the popularity of selected entities and the documents where they appear under the given restrictions. Depending on whether the Timelines analysis is based on popularity or occurrence, the lines illustrate:
- how documents, in which each of the selected entities is mentioned, are distributed over the specified period of time. Popularity measures the number of documents in percentage and Time shows the granularity you have selected for the period.
- how frequently different entities appear in the text. Occurrence measures the number of times (hits) each entity is mentioned and Time shows the granularity you have selected for the period.
Each data point in the chart shows a snapshot of documents (in percentage) or entities (in number of hits) matching the query in a particular moment in time (on a particular date).
The timeline chart below shows the 3 top most popular people in the international news between March, 2008 and July, 2010. These results are displayed in granularity of year. At the top right of the screen, you can see a legend, showing the selected entities and the color code for each of them.
When the time period values of two entities coincide, only one of the timelines will be visible as other one overlaps it.
The text field under the chart displays the timeline query criteria.
For entities, selected with Facets or Timelines search:
- Time period - shows the start and the end of the time period over which the query is performed.
- Total – shows the total of documents for the restrictions period.
- Granularity – shows the selected time unit into which the retrieved results are viewed, such as days, weeks, months, quarters, or years.
For the most popular entities, selected with Timelines, the text field has one more section:
- Options – shows the number of displayed entities, the type of entities, and the scope of viewing the results.
When you move the mouse pointer to a data point in the chart, you get a tool-tip displaying the following information:
- For Timelines queries based on popularity, the tool-tip shows the name of the selected entity, the particular moment in time (the date), and the percentage of documents (in relation to the whole time period) in which the selected entity occurs on that date.
- For Timelines queries based on occurrence, the tool-tip shows the name of the selected entity, the particular moment in time (the date), and the number of times (hits) the selected entity appears in different documents on that date.
If you click a particular data point, you go to the Document Query Result screen.